Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Experience With Me.

AlLast week my friend Grace who studied with me for five years in school at Hebron came to visit me in Bombay. She brought along her friend Onyou who studies in Bangalore and we had a whole lot of fun. I showed them around South Bombay a little - which is where all these old and beautiful buildings from the time of the British Raj stand and of course there is also the Taj Palace Hotel. We ate a delicious breakfast at Leopold's Cafe at Colaba Causeway. It was quite strange because almost everywhere I took them was one of the places that had been attacked during the 26/11 terrorist strike. The Taj palace is still closed but from the outside it is still as magnificent as ever. Leopold's has, perhaps deliberately, still left the mirrors and the display glass with the bullet holes the way they are.

We also went to Juhu beach the evening they arrived and strolled around trying to be inconspicuous but didn't really achieve that. When you're a foreigner in India you attract vendors, perverts, transvestites and beggars like a magnet. I suppose you attract attention as a foreigner in any country really.

Also if you come from any south-east Asian country, you MUST BE Chinese! Many vendors in Bandra made that presumption. First of all there was that annoying brat of boy who constantly kept singing "From Chandni Chowk To Chinaaaaa..." every time we passed by which is a) the worst song I have heard in a long time b) belongs to one of those terrible movies out of a thousand that Bollywood churns out every year and c) just plain grate-on-your-nerves ANNOYING! I had every mind to go punch him in the nose or worse but Onyou saw me grinding my teeth and getting ready to hurt him and sternly led me away...

Anyway, we all cooled down on some good old
'Mineral Water Gola
' from the Gogola stand!

Onyou's first reaction was "It's salty!". Lol. It is, a little.
Grace LOVED it!

Well, so far I've got two visitors to try out Gola. When are YOU coming to visit me!? :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

honey i think we should try out other golas so that we can recommend more than kala khatta!!!! so when are we going??? :P

p said...

man, i really wanted to see 'chandni chowk to china'.

Sharanya said...

Heh, I think you handled the Leopold thing a little better than I did. Atleast you didn't down a pint of beer in one go.

Tina Nandi said...

lol, sorry for disappointing you peter. i generally steer clear of movies with akshay kumar in them - its a pretty good indicator that the movie isn't much to talk about :)