-- Fawlty Towers (Series 1): This is one of those British sitcoms that we actually used to watch religiously in the few hours of television transmission we used to get in Zambia. It's a laughter riot! I also learned that the series was created by the man who plays Mr. Fawlty (John Cleese) and the Polly (played by Connie Booth) and they were actually married to each other at the time! The series revolve around Mr. and Mrs. Fawlty who run a hotel in a little town 4hrs away from London where things always seem to go embarrassingly wrong thanks mainly to Mr. Fawlty's hyperactive nature and Manuel - the waiter from Barcelona - who doesn't understand much english! "I know naaathing!"
-- The Invisible: Obviously not a very well known movie with big actors or anything. But I actually liked it. It was quite interesting. The story is about some trouble teenagers mainly and how one of them gets killed and then gets stuck in a weird realm - not quite dead, but not alive either... I know you're thinking, hmm, ghost movie. But technically, he's not a ghost! Lol. Watch it if you're bored.
-- Burn After Reading: Don't watch it even if you're bored! I think the scriptwriter of this movie ran out of words and just put in the f-word wherever possible and he thought it would be funny. I didn't think it was funny at all. I thought it was pretty pointless. But you know, opinions may vary.
-- Welcome to Sajjanpur: I loved this movie! Finally a Bollywood comedy that actually has some meaning and even something to teach you. Mahadev is the resident "scribe", in Sajjanpur who reads and writes personal and official letters for the illiterate in the village. Mahadev eventually develops a crush on Kamla, who is his childhood friend. The problem: she's married! The story goes on to show how he tries to get around this fact by tweaking the letters she writes and receives from her husband who went off to Mumbai soon after they got married to try and make a living... Parallelly the movie also takes a satirical poke at some of the issues of the Indian village...
In other news, I started Salsa classes on Saturday and even though I've technically only had two real hours of classes, I have salsa music perpetually on my playlist and I wish I had classes everyday!
1 comment:
I've heard Marley & Me was bad from a few other people as well, but deeply disagree about Burn After Reading, definitely one of the better movies I've seen this year (or I think it was in early Nov actually), Brad Pitt is hilarious, playing someone so out of character, the entire cast are faves of mine! But definitely, diff tastes for diff people! The film style itself is v. characteristic of the Coen brothers (directors/writers).
Post a Comment