Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mollycoddle.

Tina:
  • Watched Away We Go last night. So honest. So funny. So brilliant. Sam Mendes does it again (remember Revolutionary Road?), ladies and gentlemen!
  • Joined Twitter recently and hasn't yet figured out what the hype is all about.
  • Installed Ubuntu on her laptop last night (I lie, I mean yesterday morning...) and is wondering why is there not more hype about the brilliance of it! It's simple, it's FREE, it's so much less fussy and buggy than Windows... Try it!
  • Has been cycling for the last three days and re-realising how much she loves it! The wind in your face, the control... awesome!
  • Does not know what she's going to do after college next year. Surprise surprise!
  • Made flash cards to make studying more fun today. It works!
  • Loves reading the dictionary! It's so enlightening. She learnt some new words such as mollycoddle and many other funny words which she really should have written down because she can't remember or find them now :/
  • Is enjoying Bangalore weather but hating the dryness which is doing horrible things to her skin! Hello moisturizer!
  • Has run out of things to say... :)

9 comments:

anne said...

there is absolutely TONNES of hype! not in the corporate/pop culture world, but among computer scientists and engineers and programmers and mathies and physicists - the widespread disdain of bill gates and steve jobs is fairly common.

personally, i don't hate vista. i can use itunes, the music i buy online, and some other software (i hear getting on the internet via linux is touuugh).

good for you for supporting open source!

Sharanya said...

I know, I love Vista too! And after Google Chrome, I'm a little wary of trying out any new stuff.

I WANT TO WATCH THAT FILM! I saw it in the Time Out:New York edition (May), and I've wanted to watch it since then.

EVEN 500 DAYS OF SUMMER! I SO WANT TO WATCH THAT!

Also, I'm sure you've heard of Mollycoddle before. Doesn't it come in the 6th Harry Potter book? Or is that Mollycobbles? I'm sure it's coddles, but I'll check. You know, the scene when she's serving Harry Onion soup, and Arhut is at the door, asking for the password?

Tina Nandi said...

@Meg: Really? Well, I guess either there's just less talk of it on this side of the world, or I live under a rock! :P Maybe if I hung around with more computer-people...
I haven't had trouble with the internet on Ubuntu so far. I don't use iTunes so no problem. I'm also a big fan of VLC so I downloaded that and all my movie watching and music playing will happen on that!
I actually have XP on my laptop, I prefer it infinitely to Vista! Vista drives me crazy for some reason!

@Sharan: Lol. You caught me! Yes, I do know the word mollycoddle, (but I can't confirm the HP scene, you forget, I'm not as mad about it as you are :P :P) just saw it in the dictionary for the first time today. I used that as an example because I just could not recall any of the other words! In fact the only reason I could remember mollycoddle is because I know it already! :P

Sonal said...

YOU WATCHED IT?!!
And I'm still dying to watch it?!
Get it for me I say! And many more movies.

Shweta said...

Ubuntu's great, but it still doesn't have the convenience of windows. Yes, computer geeks, kill me. And I found OpenOffice a pain. So I stuck to the convenient option :).
Sharan: Vista's horrible! Get 7, or stick to XP for now, MUCH better.

Tina Nandi said...

@Shweta: I guess convenience is subjective! :) I find it pretty convenient and simplistic = good for me! Like any new thing, I guess it takes a while to get used to a new OS but so far, haven't had any problems! And I thought OpenOffice was too cool! I'm relieved that you have the option to save your docs in a Windows compatible format - otherwise it would be a pain!

Tina Nandi said...

p.s. also, anything that is free automatically goes in the books for "super-cool" in my mind! and I think Ubuntu is totally awesome for its price - FREE!!

Sharanya said...

I say, even Vista has that option! saving stuff in a compatible format -- I mean, I can covert stuff like Rich Text to a simple 2003 format. Vista has never given me any trouble, and also, it's very secure -- there has never been a virus problem, ever.

Also, I hear that Ubuntu doesn't work well with wireless? is that true? Coz my house is wired with/on Wi-Fi, and it's SO convenient :)


@ Shwetu:

I HAVE IE 7! :D :D

Tina Nandi said...

@Sharan: I know Vista has that option. Was just stating that I'm glad OpenOffice lets you do that cause that was one of my main concerns when I was considering installing it on my laptop...

My brother has WiFi at home and it works fine at their place... Don't know about the other kinds of wireless.

I know I can't work Tata Indicom on that because the software for connecting is not Linux-friendly. Which is a pain! :(