Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Do something!

…Dare you to move,
Dare you to move…
Dare you to lift yourself,
Up off the floor.
Dare you to move,
Dare you to move…
Like today never happened,
Today never happened…
Today never happened before…

…Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell.
Where can you run to escape from yourself?
Where you gonna go?
Where you gonna go?
Salvation is here…

- ‘Dare you to move’ by Switchfoot


I’ve never really aimed for excellence. I’ve always been okay with doing “good enough” but is “good enough” enough?
Obviously everybody can’t be the best at something or rather everything or the same thing and that’s not really what it’s about. We don’t have to compete with others at everything – that could easily become nasty but shouldn’t we still aim for excellence? Our personal excellence which is (my definition) what God has made us for, aiming at our purpose with all that we have, all that God has equipped us with – our skills, our situations, our circumstances, everything. Wherever we are, whatever is our lot (for want of a better word)?
I don’t know if that came out right. It’s just something that’s nagging me and I’m trying to make sense of it...
Any ideas, anybody, somebody?

Anyway, moving along...

Here’s something to chew on…

- Did you know that there 8, 00, 000 people who suffer from leprosy in the world?
- 30% of them are children
- Did you know that 2 thirds of that total number of leprosy patients are in India? That’s approximately 5, 33, 333 which is a very large part of the total number and that’s appalling for a nation that boasts of prospering, a high development rate and all that jazz and we can’t even get rid of a disease that’s a 100% curable!
Why?
-Because of ignorance.
People are not aware.

We are not aware.
-Even worse, people treat it as a “curse from the gods”.
-Most of those who are afflicted are poor and do not have a strong enough immunity to fight the disease.
Leprosy can afflict anyone; its an airborne disease but is one of the lease infectious diseases known to man and usually we are strong enough to fight it without drugs.
Drugs which are available (free of charge) can cure a person completely but sometimes in the later stages of the disease, if there is deformity, this cannot be reversed.
Nobody dies of Leprosy but that doesn’t make it any less of a problem.
We have to eradicate it. Poverty is difficult to eradicate but at least we can take leprosy of their plates.
If you want to contribute, (even Rs. 5/= counts) let me know. And let others know about it too...

Later,

3 comments:

Chelita said...

I want to contribute but how do I get the money to you?

Reading you blog made me want to see you... lol.

Do you want anything from Korea?
My mom is here and I can send some stuff for you with her.

Oh, leave your address on my facebook aiit.

Love you so much sweetheart

Ajay Lee said...

Hey, if you send me an address, I'll send a check (or however it's done). Way to be involved, you crazy hippie.
Ajay

anne said...

I can't possibly send you anything from Saudi Arabia, it invites disaster. Maybe when I get back to Waterloo? I could send you a check.

Aiming for excellence never has to be a nasty competition: humanity's flaws to blame, as per usual. Wanting what doesn't belong to us, but to someone else, skills even!

No one should aim for mediocrity in all areas of their lives, I think. After all, seeking to serve God as best as you can, that's not mediocre at all. Look at the rewards God has promised us! There is no mention of mediocrity anywhere. Don't settle.

We Were Meant To Live For So Much More, But We Lost Ourselves....ahhh, Switchfoot!