Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Assumptions

I think being a Teacher may be one of the toughest jobs in the world.
Being a student, I know how students can bitch about their teachers as soon as they turn their backs and I won't pretend I haven't or don't do that myself. And having played the role of a teacher, I know its pretty hard to be patient and not generalise or assume the worst about the student even though its so unfair.
Today, my friend, Sonal and I had to wait around in college for a while. I live on campus so I could have gone to my room but Sonal would have nothing to do and I can't take her to my room so instead I brought my laptop to the canteen and we were listening to music together. After a while a teacher came and just stared at us for a while and then she asked, are you charging your computer? I wasn't at that time, cause I had taken it out a few minutes ago so I said,
"No, not right now."
"So you're just sitting there with the charger on your lap and sitting under a plug point for no reason. You're not allowed to charge your laptop here."
"I didn't know we weren't allowed to"
"So now you know? Why did you pull the plug quickly when you saw me coming?" (assumption no.1)
"I didn't sister, I took it out a while ago."
"Just turn it off. And I'm sure you'll put it back on, when I go away." (assumption no. 2)
blah, blah, blah

I was very irritated to say the least. And I was quick to let Sonal know about how I felt as soon as she went.
So we were both wrong.
I would have liked to say some things to the sister. Like, excuse me, but give me the benefit of the doubt! I genuinely did not know about this rule. And not all students are miscreants or evil or whatever!
Blargh.

I guess this follows on from the ideas I've been reading from this book by Max Lucado called "The Grip of Grace".
No matter how hard we try, we can never be perfect on our own grounds or by our own efforts. No matter how hard we try, we can't live without God.

Thankfully, God knows this better than we do and He has made the perfect arrangement to save us from ourselves.
We're in the Grip of Grace.


2 comments:

P said...

this is what i conclude from your post: i want a laptop to!!! waa waa waa. no just joking. you r so right.......we find ourselves in hundreds of small situations in life where we let God and ourselves down with the way we react na. but cool that we always have the hope of tomorrow (or the next 99 incidents of the day).
i havent started medicine yet but am going to in october. here in germany.
pray for me!!!!!

anne said...

Gloria and you, you're right. The small things, they matter, because that's what life is, right, a series of moments.
Huh. I thought you already started medicine?
Take care, dearest. xx