Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Saturday, February 06, 2010

KGF 2010! :)

February rocks.


Did I hear you ask why?

  • The weather is pleasant. Well, in Bombay at least!
  • It's the only month that can change it's number of days every four years! ;) And doesn't have the usual 30 or 31. You gotta admit, that is really unique! :P
  • A lot of cool people are born in February. For example - Sonu, Grace (tomorrow!), Pipi, Doris, ME (:P) and so on…
  • Valentine’s Day. Ummm, okay not really. But it’s just generally a happy day, right? And an excuse to be silly and watch cheesy romantic comedies!
  • Sales! I’m not a shopaholic by any stretch of the word but my gran gave me some money to spend and I was thus delighted to find that there are a lot of places that have sales going on right now!
  • KALA GHODA FESTIVAL! You know how the Standard Chartered Marathon in January is one of my favourite things? This is another one of my favourite things in Bombay and it’s always even more of a treat for me because it generally happens around my birthday!

Today was Day One (it goes on for 8 days) and so Antu, Sharan and I went and Sonu joined us later with her dad. Basically Kala Ghoda Festival (a.k.a KGF) is a platform to display your artistic gifts; be it photography, fine art, music, dance, theatre or film… It’s organized by the Times of India every February and basically one whole street in South Bombay where most of the art galleries are is blocked off for one week and there’s art on display throughout the day, stalls where you can buy stuff generally made by NGOs, and the evenings are packed with performing arts events at the outdoor amphitheatre. And get this… it’s all FREE.


This is my third KGF and I’m so going to miss it when I leave! In my first year, I had brought Niru with me when she'd come for a visit. She was only here for a few days and we managed to pack in a trip to Pune and Kedgaon so we were exhausted but we still managed to catch the last day of the festival and well, ask her and I'm sure she too will tell you that it really is something! In fact, if you ever come to Bombay you should try to schedule your visit around this time so you can catch KGF! It’s really worth it!


Secretly, I’m hoping that one day when I have a good camera and manage to polish up my amateurish photography skills; I’ll have a display of my own work at the KGF! I'm just waiting for that! Impossible is nothing, right?


A painting of a "Kala Ghoda" (black horse) on the ground...There were still putting together the entrance but isn't that cool? It's made of steel wardrobes welded together!!A random pair of eyes sticking out of a tree!Lots of Global Warming awareness art.

Me and Antu. Waiting for a table at Samovar - one of our favourite little restaurants in South Bombay!

Nothing like a good ol' cup of Chaii!A lamp made of x-rays!There was this huge bell-like thing hanging from a tree...More installment art.This guy was writing some kind of messages on white t-shirts.An amazing photography display...

More installment art.

No comments: