Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Friday, February 12, 2010

Khotachiwadi...

Yesterday we went for a "field trip" to this urban village called Khotachiwadi. I'll admit I was less than enthusiastic about this because in my head it meant walking (on a hot day) through a dusty village but it was actually really cool and it's definitely something worth seeing in Bombay.
It was actually pretty bizarre. It's like this little alley somewhere amongst the chaos of Girgaum with a bunch of adorable little houses and lots of cool graffiti.
Anyway, it turned out that a girl from our college actually lives in one of those adorable houses and so we called her and then she took us to this man's house to have a peek into an antique Khotachiwadi home and ohmyword! The man happened to be some really famous designer - James Ferreira and apparently he let's people randomly walk through his drop-dead-gorgeous little house. It was filled with all this beautiful old furniture and stuff and he was actually there sitting in his kitchen making pickle or something as we actually walked through. See? Bizarre but so cool.

(So I just googled "Designer who lives in Khotachiwadi" and apparently this house is more than 200 years old!)

2 comments:

Dinah said...

Beautiful house! I love the floor tiles and the lights!!

Gautam Nandi said...

Fascinating!! Your love for photography certainly enhances the experience for all.