Looking to for the future...
These are sad days because they're the last few days of classes. As in, after Thursday I'm never going to sit through another class at Sophia's! :( SAD!Anyway, so to cushion the blow, one fine day in the canteen Astrid and I thought, "let's have a dress code for each day of the last week. It'll be fun!!" And of course I was totally excited because I remember doing this in school too! The next day Astrid (who is our class rep) announced it to the rest of the class and so the Socio single major students and even our teachers (!!) are having a lot of fun this week ;)
Today was Flower Power/Hippy/Bohemian day...








On Thursday we're going on a field trip (apparently) and then maybe lunch (?) with the class. Friday's a public holiday for some reason.. Never been so sad about a public holiday - this means one less day of college!! Tragic.Today on the train ride back home, one of our teachers was on the same train and she asked us how we were coping up with "the end of college" and I said, "it comes and goes" and well, it hadn't come all day and then it came with an added realisation.. So far, I've been sad about leaving and saying goodbye to friends and going to college everyday and then it hit me that I'm going to miss the teachers too! And it's been such a blessing that we actually have a pretty awesome rapport with our teachers! And I am going to miss them! Ack!
Also I've been thinking about how I've made it through three years of being in an all-girls institute for the first time in my life. And let me tell you, it's been AWESOME. To be honest when I started off, I was a little like "ummmmmmm" just because I've always been in co-ed... but I haven't had a single day of thinking "I wish Sophia was co-ed." Not that I don't like boys, it's just that people often have this notion (like I did!) about all-girls being "boring" but trust me, I've had the most fun three years ever. And being in India, it's even more special because let's face it, we still have this socially backward notion that "boys are better than girls". Families still rejoice when a BOY is born. No fire crackers are burst on the birth of a GIRL, in fact sometimes we do everything we can to get rid of the girl! It's sad but it's true (don't argue with me, I studied 'Gender and Society' :P). So to be in a girls college like Sophia which is one of the best colleges in Bombay and especially being a part of one of Bombay's biggest college festivals (Kaleidoscope)... it's been an honour. And I am glad that Sophia has not and hopefully will not (ever) give in to the pressure of going co-ed. And one day girls will be celebrated as much as boys are in our country!
More power to us! :)
6 comments:
Is it HER?! Did you meet HER in the train? :D :P
I was going to say something important and sentimental here, but I forgot. Damn.
I second that, more power to us! More power to women in India! More power to women in Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, Afghanistan and all over the world!! It's so sad what they do to the girl child. They forget where they come from - a WOMAN!! What would the world be without WOMEN? More power to women!!!
Oh and I really like your colourful bags! Can you get me one when you're coming back? :)
Attractive pictures of beautiful 'flowery' ladies!! You can rest assured that the day is not far when girls will not only be celebrated as much as boys but more than boys. Love you all. God Bless.
@Sharan: Yes, it was HER. Gosh, get over it already :P
@D: Whoa, feisty! :P And the bag is actually from Orissa. My whole class got it when we were graduating from Hebron :)
@Papa: Thank you! Love you! :D
Girl power! Yaaay! I bet boys don't have half as fun as we do.
You'll still come to college during our prep leave right? We'll study! :P
@Sharan
HER! Need to tell you stuff!
Post a Comment