Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ein Gedicht*

*A Poem

Yesterday as I was sorting out my 'treasure-trunk' from my Hebron school days, I came across a folder called 'Prefects Retreat'. In it I found a whole lot of stuff from our Prefect's Retreat Weekend away to this wonderful campsite called Avalanche and other such stuff including the poem typed out below. It was written and recited to us by our wonderful principal at the Prefect's Dinner Treat we are given at the end of Std. 13 before we hand over our duties to the next batch... Just thought I'd share it with you! Look out for me!

Hebron Habitat
1. Here are the Prefects of Hebron School
Who began reigning in 2005 and number twenty-two.
2. When they started their rule they were very keen
And represented all types - kind, compassionate, cruel and mean!
3. Sam Abu Bakker is alphabetically first in this team,
Master of rotas, football and hockey he never runs out of steam.
4. Then there's Deepak Barkataki, his partner in crime
Who keeps Prefects and their duties closely in line.
5. Meghna Daniel is next , of 'Peter Pan' directing fame,
Like her Old Testament namesake even lions (crocodiles, pirates and mermaids) she can tame.
6. Orville D'Silva as a tennis player displays shots which punch a packet,
But as Inters' Prefect he certainly won't tolerate a racket!
7. Jugal George is our resident cycling maestro,
Whether its guitars or bikes, just watch him go!
8. Whoops - alphabetically I missed Catherine C.
Whilst short of stature she keeps her Dorm girls busy as a bee.
9. I've also forgotten the charming Miss Cho,
Her art and music are graceful, don't you know?
10. I'm now back on track with Ajay Lee,
After his failure to hand in R.S. prep his mother with have him over her knee.
11. Natasha Menon is our Prefect of the wavy locks,
Now she's cared for Silverdale, Natasha's prepared for any shocks.
12. Alva Miah arranges Assemblies and is not one to fret,
She even put up with me in her history set.
13. Priyanka Nandi comes next - or should I say Tina?
As a Dorm Prefect who could be meaner - sorry, keener?
14. John Peters cares for animals from dusk to dawn,
But he really comes alive when he plays his horn.
15. I should really be asking Pete the Poet to do this ditty,
But he runs so fast that I don't think he'd have the time to be witty.
16. Oh no, how could I have left out Gavin - he's so tall,
As he comes smiling all the way down from Nepal?
17. I've also omitted Abigail P.,
Striking and brave she talks the hind legs off a donkey.
18. Niru has the name of an Indian great,
But on the hockey field she tackles at a fearsome rate.
19. Vikyath Rao is the coffee maker supreme,
And as canteen wallah he knows how to get the cream.
20. What can I say about Jonathon Reid?
As his father I don't suppose there's any advice he'd heed.
21. The other coffee maker is Abhishek Singh,
Of cricket, brains and Inters he is the joint - King.
22. Anjali, of course, will also be remembered as Peter Pan,
Fly through the air she certainly can.
23. David Sorge has brought a new understanding to library reviews,
We wonder if anyone can fill his shoes.
24. And so at last we come to Wendy, or is it Anna?
Who also swims and plays sport in a wonderful manner.
25. I am very nearly finished my poor rhyming couplets,
And I'm sure you're saying 'great' with no regrets!
26. But before I finish and breathe a sigh of relief, too.
I really must finish by saying thanks to every one of you.
27. Duties and responsibilities you've taken in your stride,
And so I wish you God's blessing as you go into the world, far and wide.

-- Alastair Reid
28/4/2006

all of us 'jazzed up' for the Prefect's Dinner

7 comments:

Sharanya said...

This is THE BEST post I have read on your blog-- everything, incld. the german title, the new header, your new profile pic and this lovely post...OMG!

Tina Nandi said...

yay! thank you! :)
i like the new header too! took that picture on juhu beach when grace came to visit and then photoshop zindabad! i'm actually getting a hang of photoshop, it's pretty amazing what you can do with it!
and of course the credit for the profile pic goes to you deary!

bhavini said...

Piu. I want a baby!

Sorry, I can't think of anything else right now. I just watched that video of Renae's and.. I want a baby!

I loved the poem, though.. it was incredibly insightful.. And you were.. mean? :D

Senegal Daily said...

I like your header, Tina. Did you take the pic yourself?
-Jonathan

Tina Nandi said...

@ Jonathon. Thanks! Yeah I took that picture at one of the beaches in Mumbai (which is actually unfortunately dirty and over-crowded in the evenings) called "Juhu Beach" and then played around with the photo on photoshop...

Sharanya said...

Oh, I forgot that I had taken it :D :D It looks good HERE though by itself its not great :D

RENAE IS SO AWESOME.

Sonal said...

Nice header!
Nice poem!
Nice picture!

Nice holiday!(?)