Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Monday, March 09, 2009

Honululu?

Before the exam today, I was so restless. You know the fight or flight syndrome? Where your body gets all set for a danger situation? I was ready to run. Just run. Not really away - I may be a coward in many ways but I wouldn't run away from an exam! But just to run. You know what I mean? Expend all that energy that I really shouldn't have had after an entire weekend of studying (well, sort of) and... umm, less than eight hours of sleep. I know you should really just study in advance and get enough sleep and eat healthy and all that crap before exams but hey, that's for perfect people in a perfect world. We humans - college going humans - NOT going to happen.

This subject was actually really difficult to study for me. In fact, three cheers to Jo without whom, let's just say it would've been bad! It's not that I don't like Socio, the problem is that everything was given to me - on a silver platter. It was just a whole lot of information in beautiful packaging in a nutshell and all I had to do is pretty much memorise everything. I cannot do that!! Call it bad memory or whatever but I think I'm just not programmed to do that. Throughout IGCSE's and A'levels, it was drilled into my head to break down everything I was given and analyse and give examples - your OWN examples, like go figure out how and where this works - and case studies and then put it all together in your own words. And here I am with information so precise, all broken down for me and there wasn't much scope to put it in different or simpler words so I had to just remember it all. I know it sounds stupid, (it's probably less work so what are you complaining about?) but I just cannot do this. This is really difficult for me. If I don't understand something and if I haven't really worked towards putting something together myself, I will simply not remember it. It is not meaningful to me.

Anyway, still the exam wasn't bad. It was difficult studying for it but I managed to remember a lot of stuff (again, Jo, I don't know what I would've done without you!) It was one of those where I wrote and wrote and wrote all I could remember and didn't have time to get distracted and didn't notice the time go by. It was Socio, the subject I want to major in so it had better be good enough!

Anyway, I think exams are a terrible way of measuring how much a person actually understands the concepts. As if I'm actually going to remember all that. Where's the practicality? But who listens to me! And that's a whole 'nother debate on how the education system, especially in India, according to me desperately needs a major makeover. Anyone with me?

As for now, I'd like to go to Honululu, sip on cocktails, eat sea food, swim in the ocean, read a really good book and sunbathe.

But alas, five more exams to go :S

And anyway, where exactly IS Honululu?

7 comments:

Shaon said...

it is a county/city in the state of Hawaii. also, good choice - it's the birthplace of Barack Obama :D xxxxxxx

Ryan said...

Honolulu is one place which SOUNDS nice even :)

Asmita Nandedkar said...

Its a beautiful place too :D..( also a famous holiday destination!)

Unknown said...

Oh my tourist to Honululu Heaven :P you have equally been my saviour!!!!! We've speaken spoken enough about Honululu so won't discuss any further BUT i want to make a very small point-these exams are very arhpoghgfbnghf you know what i mean!

Gautam Nandi said...

The system is flawed but we all have to endure them 'cos experience of good along with bad makes us mature like fine wine which can be part of the Honolulu deal!! Love you.

Sharanya said...

Hawaii! I HAVE to make JaG read this post :D

But you know what? I know exactly what you mean. School was so very different. I miss the studying.

bhavini said...

I'm with you, totally, on the makeover thing. I'm going to try to be a part of it. We need it so desperately, for us, for our future generations and for our predecessors as well.