Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Why I love Ubuntu!
*click to enlarge*
And now, if somebody would just tell me how to make stupid Tata Indicom internet software Ubuntu-friendly, I'll be the happiest person on the planet!! :)
@Scripps: Wow! Lots of questions. To be honest, my brother (who is a computer genius) walked me through the installation and I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention so... :) But I'll try and answer your questions anyhow!
1) I don't actually have much experience with Vista (on purpose - I didn't like it at all so I stuck with XP). Right now I have two OS on my laptop ie. Ubuntu and XP and I can choose which one to use when I boot my laptop. You can also run Ubuntu from within XP from the CD.
2) Yes, a partition was made on my hard drive. Ubuntu walks you through that while installing. No problem. I'm sure you can "recover" back to whatever other OS you have.
3) Don't know about battery power! My battery does not work so I'm always plugged in.
4) Again, I don't know about Vista and I guess it's really subjective. My laptop has very little RAM so it's slow anyway and with XP it's maddeningly slow. MUCH slower than when I'm running Ubuntu. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that with XP I HAVE to run an antivirus but Ubuntu is safe on its own. No need for antivirus.
4) Errrr... I'll have to check up on that one. But not a lot. Definitely much less than Windows!
9 comments:
Very cool. Am getting it asap. Never thought anything could lure me from Firefox, though I still am a die-hard fan of it :)
If i'm not mistaken, Firefox is also an Open Source creation. So awesome! And when you install Ubuntu, it comes loaded with Firefox. No worry. :)
1) Vista is standalone. So i cant run Ubuntu and vista simult right?
2) Did you make a partition on your main hard drive to install ubuntu? can you "recover" back to vista if you want to now?
3) Does ubuntu consume less battery power than vista?
4)Is there a real conspicuous speed diff btwn vista and ubuntu?
5) Exactly how much disk space does the ubuntu os take up?
@Scripps: Wow! Lots of questions. To be honest, my brother (who is a computer genius) walked me through the installation and I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention so... :) But I'll try and answer your questions anyhow!
1) I don't actually have much experience with Vista (on purpose - I didn't like it at all so I stuck with XP). Right now I have two OS on my laptop ie. Ubuntu and XP and I can choose which one to use when I boot my laptop. You can also run Ubuntu from within XP from the CD.
2) Yes, a partition was made on my hard drive. Ubuntu walks you through that while installing. No problem. I'm sure you can "recover" back to whatever other OS you have.
3) Don't know about battery power! My battery does not work so I'm always plugged in.
4) Again, I don't know about Vista and I guess it's really subjective. My laptop has very little RAM so it's slow anyway and with XP it's maddeningly slow. MUCH slower than when I'm running Ubuntu. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that with XP I HAVE to run an antivirus but Ubuntu is safe on its own. No need for antivirus.
4) Errrr... I'll have to check up on that one. But not a lot. Definitely much less than Windows!
Hope that helps! :)
hmm. I think it's time for another round of 'guess what's in the picture' or whatever it's called.
Which version of Ubuntu are you running and what modem do you use?
TINA! YOU'RE A TECHIE! I LOVE YOU!
Also, er, did Vini change her blogger name? or is it some other Bhavini?
@Ryan: I forget! I'll get back to you on that! :P
I have a Tata Indicom data card.
@Sharan: As you can see from my response to Ryan, I'm really not that much of a Techie! :P I'm just a wannabe! :)
And yes, that's vini, OUR vini!
Post a Comment