
One of my favourite things in Mumbai is the Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon and as you probably know, I got to take part in the "Dream Run" this time! It's a 6km race and thousands of people come out and take part. It's a place where you can just be a part of that great "Mumbai Spirit" that they keep talking about (it's true!). All these NGOs and other organisations come out and take part - spreading awareness about a certain cause or simply just to get some publicity.
Jo, Antu and I took part as individuals. It was a totally last-minute thing. I was planning to be there anyhow because I've been there for the last two years as a spectator and absolutely LOVE it but then Sharan and her parents couldn't take part this year so they kindly let us go in their place!!
There are basically three races... The full marathon (42kms), the half marathon (21kms) and the Dream Run. People from around the world (especially Africa) come to take part every year and the numbers just keep increasing! This year the total number of people taking part in all three races was around 40, 000 and you could really see it! It was actually pretty impossible to run in the Dream Run course because there were so many people and it was kind of difficult to dodge them! Anyway, we passed the start line around 9:40am and finished it about an hour later. I had the most awesome time! I took lots of pictures, got the Indian flag painted on my face, got a free t-shirt, free food, my friends were there with me... You get the picture!
Okay, the order is kind of messed up... Blogger really needs to pull up their socks on making it easier to deal with photos but for now, here are some shots from yesterday... in random order!
Antu and I, all flushed after the marathon...
Practising our running poses :P
Some people at the costume round..
You could get whatever you wanted painted on you for free!
The crowd at the costume round before the race started...
These guys won the first prize in the costume round! :)
Girl power!
All set!
On our train to VT at around 7:30am
Desi girls! :)
There were LOADS of people trying to raise awareness for a greener planet. I like!! :)
Hee hee!
Jo and I on the train...
I was trying to get a picture of the crowd. I'm not sure what's with my expression. Lol. Just excited I guess! :)
My freebie t-shirt... So as we started walking, this lady came up to me and asked me if I would wear their organisation's t-shirt and I'm a sucker for freebies and well, it was a good cause so I slipped this one on on top of my t-shirt and so yeah, I actually walked the 6kms in TWO t-shirts. Lol. I tried to maneuver out of mine but didn't manage... But they weather was actually not so bad so it was okay!
Gauri! She was running with an organisation called 'Laadli' which works to fight against female infanticide and foeticide. Unfortunately, it is a rampant practice in parts of India so you're actually not allowed to find out the sex of your child before birth. Laadli took part in the costume round so that's why Gauri is playing pregnant here! Isn't she just glowing? :)
More friends from college!
Marine drive...
:)
Look! I have a number!! :)
Antu, Jo and I at Azad Maidan which is the "holding area" for the runners and where the race starts...
Wearing our Marathon bands!
7 comments:
hey was it a marathon where you guys run? that pic shows people walking..
Tina! I love you! I'm SO happy that you ran! I feel so nostalgic, who knows when I'll run again? But I can keep coming back to this. YAY!
Well done!! Love you.
Good for you! You make us proud! Love you much.
Very nice!
(P.s: The balloon photo. OMG)
How exciting :) I'm so glad the autistic people won the costume round!!!!!! Yay for bringing autism awareness to India! It's high time!!
Oh and I really love your love for life!! It's so refreshing!!! It's so nice to be able to appreciate the little things and be grateful for them :)
Post a Comment