
So today there was a Blood Donation Drive organised by the Tata Memorial Hospital in college and I didn't really have any intention on donating. Not because I'm scared of needles because I'm really not but because I always hear these freak stories of how people have gotten infected with some scary disease and blah blah so I was planning to skip it even though there was really nothing to worry about. But then I went to the venue because Antu was going to donate and I saw everything and how it's organised and clean and I was like, hmmmmm... I think I should do it. So I did. I was still kind of paranoid for a long time and was observing everything and saw that they were using disposable needles and everything so I filled out a form and they checked my blood pressure, hemoglobin, weight, etc and I passed!
After a lot of waiting around, Antu and I finally got our chance and it was pretty cool. The needle is scary, I'll give you that... but you don't actually feel anything because they give you a local anesthetic and well you just sort of sit there and 300ml (I think) of your blood flows into a bag that will hopefully save someone's life. Now that's cool, isn't it? I think it is.
After you're done they compulsorily send you to the "Blood Donation Cafe"... Lol. Okay, well that's what I christened it! :P Basically you have to go sit down and drink some coffee and eat some biscuits. I felt kind of woozy because I guess my body suddenly missed it's blood or something. Haha. But then they made me lie down for a while and the doctor was like, "what are you feeling?" and I was like, "Ummm, I don't know! I can't explain it!" Yup, that's me. I'm so terrible at describing my symptoms but yeah the lying down helped and I'm all fine now... except for the little puncture in my arm. Seriously. BIG needle!!
So yeah, Tina did something new today... and I'd do it again.
4 comments:
I've been wanting to do this ever since JaG mentioned that she had done it...now you and Antu have done it too! I'm so proud to have friends like you, who are not scared!
Proud of your spirit and desire for new experiences. Keep it up!! LOL.
i think i'll make it an annual thing! :) you??
Every three months is fine, actually :) Though yeah, annually is a great idea.
I remember doing it the first time on impulse, too. I was walking across Dadar's big main bridge and the KEM hospital guys had set up a big camp right on the side of the busy bridge. It was a little freaky but they take such good care of you :) And it feels simply wonderful later. I did it again for MoodI last year, and it felt weird+happy later. I actually felt humbled. The idea of your own blood being used to help someone in need makes you feel one with everyone like few things else :)
Sharan! It's a great idea :) I know the needles are scary but the patterns on your skin in that spot are really beautiful :)
Post a Comment