Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The jittery travel bug...

Right its time to move again… I’ve been in one place for too long. But un/fortunately I am stuck here for an indefinite period of time.

And then I see Anne Frank’s diary sitting next to me and think, well these people stayed in one place for years. And that’s not just one town, or city or country but one enclosure, in hiding. Indoors all day, all week, all month, all year… Ahhhhh, that’s crazy! I would die of claustrophobia. Well, probably not, but I would think I was dying of claustrophobia. But I guess every situation is just so different when you’re actually there. You can’t really envision exactly what something could be like unless and until you’re actually there…

Anyhow, coming back to the point. I’ve got the jittery travel bug and I want to go somewhere. So if it were financially and practically possible for me to do so, where would I go?

Firstly, I would go to college. To Grinnell because that’s the college I know the most about. I’ve been corresponding with a student there through email and she paints a pretty picture so obviously I’d like to be there studying German and meeting new people…

Second choice: I’d like to be on a Safari in Africa… Actually I change my mind, I’d like to be in that village in Orrissa where we worked in the summer of 2004. I’d like to go back and see how much the trees we planted with the kids have grown. I’d like to see that school that we built with our own hands in its finished state. I’d like to sleep out under the starry skies and the fireflies. Most of all I’d like to see this one beautiful young girl whose constantly smiling face is still so clear in my memory. I’d like to see if she still has that friendship band I made for her, no doubt she still has that smile…

Third choice: I’d like to visit some of those anonymous beaches we went to on the Tsunami trip in the Summer of 2005. Absolutely beautiful. The best beaches I’ve been to in India and no wonder cause they were completely empty and not clad with thousands of tourists and thus not junked up!

I guess that’s saying something… Orissa and Tsunami Relief are the two of my best memories out of all the places I’ve been to in India and also out of the five years I spent at Hebron. Orissa for the no-frills-simplistic life in the village and the Tsunami relief for the sounds of the waves and the company. And both of them, for all the lessons learnt too…

And Grinnell... well that’s just a shimmering possibility of the future.

Later,

No comments: