Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Friday, November 02, 2007

***** = it was amazing!

Some of my favourite lines from "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini
~ It’s wrong what they say about the past, I’ve learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out...
~ There was a brotherhood between people who had fed from the same breast, a kinship that not even time could break.
Hassan and I fed from the same breasts. We took our first steps on the same lawn in the same yard. And, under the same roof, we spoke our first words.
Mine was Baba.
His was Amir. My name.
~ Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors...
~ There is only one sin, only one. And that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft....When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness...
~Quiet is peace. Tranquility. Quiet is turning down the VOLUME knob on life. Silence is pushing the OFF button. Shutting it down. All of it.

And many more... This book had me stopping in between reading and going "Wow!"
It had me awake till 2 am determined to finish it although I really didn't want it to finish.
It made me question myself.
Made me imagine myself in situations of life and death where my life could mean the death of another and ask myself would I really have the courage to choose life for another?
It reminded me also of the impermanence of life and especially of wealth. One minute you're a rich man and the next you're on the streets begging. It can happen to anyone.
Made me make up my mind on the question of war: It's never good. You go into war with the excuse of saving something but at what cost? Rape? Innocent lives? Mindless violence? Starvation? Abuse? Millions of refugees? Worst of all; stealing the innocence of children. The cost is always too high. And it always happens. It justs happens behind the scenes mostly and people forget to notice...

This book made me angry, cry, laugh, smile, think, and hope. I highly recommend. The best I've read in a while.
P.S.I hope the movie does it justice! It released yesterday but obviously will take some time to get here... See the trailer.

3 comments:

Sonal said...

damn it piu,i havnt even got my hands on a copy of the book.God knows when ill start n finish it.hols r so goddamn lazy!!!!

Anonymous said...

I read the book a long time back...but now that you picked up lines from it, I know I will get back to it soon...

oh and Vini's new blog adress:

http://trick-mirror.blogspot.com

btw, shes put it up for you on my ShoutBox..

Love ya!

sharan

Tribal Kid said...

Tina tina Tiiiinnnaaaa.
I am at am internet cafe nd I can see the banners... whoot whoot. i think the reason i cant see it home might have smthing to do with me using vista ;) ah well.. i aproooovvvveeeeeee..lol. ttyl.