Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Movies Aaj Kal...

This is my new favourite photo. Marine Drive a.k.a. "The Queen's Necklace" as viewed from a horse carriage! Thursday night, we went to watch perform at the NCPA and then went for dinner at a Chinese restaurant. None of the taxis would take us because the distance was too short so we finally managed to convince this man to take us on his horse carriage! So sweet and it was so exciting! And gosh, Marine Drive is gorgeous by night!

L: Jo, all dressed up and ready to dance.
R: Meg, Sonu and Vini waiting in the audience for the program at the NCPA to start.

Yesterday Orvi, Meg and I went to watch Love Aaj Kal with some of my college buddies. After Jab We Met which was Imtiaz Ali’s last film, expectations were high but it was quite disappointing. We went with the “fun-mindset” but even that sort of began fizzling out for me by the interval. Deepika Padukone cannot act and neither can the Brazilian girl who plays the Punjabi-kuddi. You can’t really blame her though, she’s not supposed to be an actress and she looked so out of place in the film! Anyway, we ate lots of popcorn and the songs were enjoyable…

It was also fun watching the trailers of some of the other Bolly films in pipeline. Most of them look like utter rubbish – as usual. Sigh.

Some of the places we ate at while Meg was here...

The teacher’s strike is still going on. Still no idea when it will end and nobody’s even talking about it now. The news is full of H1N1 statistics, advice, etc, etc… Gosh, I hope that blows over soon.

Last night, after dropping Meg off at VT for her train back to Hyderabad, Orvi and I headed to Churchgate to catch a local train back home. We got second class tickets cause it was late on a Saturday night so the trains weren’t overtly crowded albeit STILL pretty crowded. It was actually so much better traveling in the general compartment rather than in the women’s compartment. We got on at the first station so we got seats and generally four people squeeze onto a three-seater but the advantages of being a girl on the general compartment is that the men are very careful to give you space so even though the train was pretty crowded nobody squeezed in next to us! Also the general compartment is so quiet compared to the ladies’! The ladies don’t just talk a lot, they talk LOUDLY and constantly. Bombay is pretty awesome that way; the number of creepy men is significantly less than in other cities (this was Meg’s observation too!). I love how I can feel pretty safe out on the streets whether its 5am or 11pm here. There are always people on the streets and everyone is too busy doing their own thing to bother you.

L: Orvi and Meg munching on McDonald's fries at VT station before Meg caught her train to Hyderabad.
R: Meg on a local train.

Meg loved Bombay and I’m getting pretty good at this “tourist-guide” thing so who’s coming to visit me next?! :D

Two of the must-see places in Bombay: The Taj Hotel and The Gateway of India.

1 comment:

Just a girl said...

Me! MEEEE! I'll come visit...*sigh* I wish...I really do wanna visit Bombay/India. And you portray it so beautifully! I almost feel like I'm there...and I feel so cool because I know what the Queen's Necklace is (Sharan has waxed lyrical about it, ha ha.) :)

x
JAG