Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Friday, August 21, 2009

Dhan Te Naaan!

Ah-ha! Finally something quality from Bollywood and a director who lived up to expectations unlike Imtiaz Ali with Love Aaj Kal. Oh dear. Okay, so it wasn't THAT bad but I'm in the mood for exaggeration today so there :P

Ahem.

Getting back to Kaminey. It's actually been a while since I watched it but here's my lowdown.

Brilliant. Just like Maqbool. Just like Omkara. Vishal Bhardwaj shows us once again that he knows his stuff.

Lots of violence and some of the shots are a little overwhelming with the crazy lighting and camera movements but that's kind of the point. You know? And honestly, my being able to appreciate this film is purely thanks to my Mass Media class last year and getting to tag along to the Literature department's film screenings for the last couple of weeks... This is a film that demands your attention or you'll totally miss the point and the technical brilliance.

I like how this reviewer for BollywoodHungama.com puts it:

Sure, it's a well-made film, but there's no spoon feeding here. One has to be attentive, very attentive to grasp the goings-on and also the twists in the tale. It's not one of those lock-your-brains-at-home types, for sure. And that might not be too appealing a thought for those who swear by candyfloss or meaningless ha-ha-thons. -- Taran Adarsh, August 12th, 2009


Add to all that Shahid Kapoor's best performance ever and of course, the music (!!) and you have one Dhan Te Naaan film that you should not miss!

4 comments:

Sharanya said...

THAT SONG IS SOOO FRICKIN' CATCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dhan te naan, te-nan, ne-nan =P =P It's like a song straight out of some Tarantino flick.

I really, really wanted to watch Before the rains :'( Now I've missed my chance, it's running only at Inox in Nariman Point :'( :'(

They're really blowing Jaswant Sinha's thing out of proportion, I know. They expelled him OVER THE PHONE, can you believe it? After 30 years of service? All because he explained his PoV in a book. Whatever happened to freedom of expression?

And the "my name is Khan" thing? I'm betting it's a stunt for his new film. I can't beliebve people would stoop so low.

Tina Nandi said...

Yes! Catchy! That's what I was trying to explain to my mom! :D
I also LOVE Fatak!
Oh gosh, I completely forgot about Before the Rains! Oh well, I guess we'll find a DVD version of that soon enough!

harshni said...

Hi there!

I was undecided about watching either this or Ice age 3( Would u believe that hit theatres where i live only now?) this weekened.. now.. Kaminey it is!! Thanks!

Just a girl said...

Sharan sent me this song, and I can't stop dancing to it :) Hence my recent FB status: Bollywood films have better soundtracks.

x
JAG