Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Unsurpassable

What is? Well 'Gone with the Wind' is 'Unsurpassable" according to some critic. That's what i'm reading at the moment. I watched the movie a couple of years ago and have heard my dear friend Alva praise it immensely when she was reading it and also many times after she finished reading it... and well, I guess everyone knows that the story of Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara is one the greatest love stories, ever told. So, I'm quite excited about this book although it is HUGE!
I'm falling in love with Mumbai slowly... Shocking? Well, I dunno, my dad did warn me that this city really grows on you and some other lady told me exactly the same thing. I guess its true. Everytime I walk on the streets, I see all these millions of people and think what brought them to this city... Well, some of them, it was just by default so to say - born here, brought up here, live here, never thought of going anywhere else... but then there are other people who came here with dreams and aspirations and you almost feel it in the air, you can breathe it. Not sure how to explain it. But attitudes are different in this city from Bangalore. Somehow in Bangalore whenever I went out, I got the feeling that people just hated their lives, hated their jobs and that sort of made them bark at you like you were the last straw, the icing on their very bad cake. Or maybe it was just me. I always had fights with auto guys and was always disappointed with the service, but here, people seem to be nicer, friendlier, a sort of we're-all-in-it-together-so-we-might-as-well-get-along attitude. But then again, maybe its just me.
Can't remember all the million other things I wanted to say. Next time I will make notes, as Meghana wisely advised!
Love,
Tina

2 comments:

Ajay Lee said...

Can one ever compare Mumbai to truly rural America? No in that, well just obviously. Yes in that, humanity strives to exist to the best of their ability. And when there is obvious effort, and good spirits, the sun just shines brighter, the grass is greener, the bar is emptier, the roads are wider. And of course, the kids shout louder and play longer into the evening. Everything is just that much better
More later
Ajay

anne said...

I'm falling out of love with cities now. Isn't that funny? But I understand you, the abundance of humanity is just so fascinating in large cities. I suppose then Jeddah and Hyderabad are closer to Bombay (saying "Mumbai" feels weird to me) than Bangalore. Mostly I'm commenting to tell you that you spelled my name wrong. Or was that intentional?
Here's looking AT you, kid, AT.
Anticipating finishing the book today, it's well written, the story lacks originality, but it's real, and she's done pretty awesome research.
Funny, I thought the same thing: sitting on the bunks, talking late into the night, talking talking talking, occasionally laughing, eating, and crying. Then praying, hugging, and sleep. Good times.
Much love!
xx Meg