Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Bring on the movies!

Past two days have been good... i have been gathering lots of calories, little sleep and no exercise. oh whatever!
so i've watched a LOT of movies that i'm dying to write about. so let's start from the very beginning!
1. Miss Potter - Absolutely magical. I loved it, I loved it, I loved it. Its based on the life of a gutsy woman called Beatrix Potter who you've just got have heard about... Tom Thumb, Peter Rabbit - ring a bell?! If you liked Finding Neverland, I think you might like this too...
2. North Country - If you're looking to relax (and especially if you're a woman and looking to relax) don't watch this movie! It's a pretty serious movie that's based on a particular woman who files a case against a mining company for sexual harassment and gosh the things those men did, it really gets your blood boiling. I cried buckets for this movie so be warned.
3. Bridge to Terabithia – When I saw the trailers for this movie, I was pretty far from wanting to watch it but it’s actually not bad. Something about it made me feel like I’ve seen this before – I can’t quite figure out what it is…
4. Lagaa Chunari Mein Daag – Going out to watch a movie in Bangalore is no joke. I won’t get started on the mess this city is in due to all the Metro work and really what looks like pretty poor maintenance or planning and of course the most irresponsible drivers… Argh. Anyhow, I managed to convince my mum and aunt to go to Inox at Garuda Mall to watch Lagaa… with me. I liked it. I don’t think this is a movie for all. To some the storyline will seem pretty clichéd but actually it’s not your usual prostitute movie with all the “tumne is khandan ka naak kaat diya” dialogues (basically you’ve brought shame upon this family), we finally see some understanding, some love, acceptance and sharing of the plight of prostitution. Now THAT is a change from the rest if you think about it. I also LOVED the colour in the movie – it was colourful without necessarily being ostentatious. Rani looked gorgeous. Konkona – well there’s just no one like her. The bong babes - what can you say! ;) hee hee. Kunal – Ohhhh Kunal!! Even Abhishek Bachan looked good. And a happy ending… who can resist a happy ending. I’d say go watch it if you’re looking for a good “Bolly” movie. The songs, the dancing, the larger than life – it ought to lighten your heart. Watch the trailer here.
5. Breaking and Entering – Another of my brother’s downloads. It had Jude Law in it, so I couldn’t resist. Interesting characters, interesting storyline. Some bits got me confused and irritated just with the general stupidity of mankind. Have you ever watched a character do something stupid and yelled – “Why??? Why would you do that!?!” I have. At Jude Law, in this movie.
6. Sabrina – No, not the teenage witch, I’m talking about one of Audrey Hepburn’s classics. I just love that woman and it may seem strange but there’s something about black and white movies that colour doesn’t quite capture… Also stars Humphrey Bogart. I spent most of the movie trying to figure out where I have seen him before and then I finally figured it out - Casablanca (1942).
"Here's looking to you, kid." If you haven't watched Casablanca, you ought to!

1 comment:

Tribal Kid said...

I loved it I LOOOOOOVVVVEEEDDDDD it ;) the color, the dancing oh the beauty.. nd the story line wasn't half bad.. i'll maybe blog my take on it sm time.. just dont have the time now... I've lost a freakin hour due to daylight savings.. so now it's 2:14 am instead of 1:14... Gah.. lol. But atleast the sunshine is back.. i can put on my summer dress and dance down the side walk ;) ok ttyl .. Love u... Muah