Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Wedding to Remember!

So I attended a beautiful wedding yesterday at Christ Church in Byculla (which I found out was built in 1833!). My friend, Lydia from the Bombay Baptist Church (BBC) in Colaba was the beautiful and ecstatic bride!
The ceremony was really beautiful and the love that this God-made couple felt for each other was just so palpable. Unfortunately I didn't reach in time to see Lydia walk down the aisle and I didn't manage to a get a good seat so there aren't many good photos of what happened during the ceremony... The church band was playing some rocking worship songs when I entered and then after that was over, Pastor Jo from BBC who was conducting the ceremony called upon Lydia's parents to give her away and then Johann (the bridegroom's parents) also came up and prayed for the couple.
Lydia and Johann sang a beautiful song for each other:
I cherish the treasure
The treasure of you
Lifelong companion
I give myself to you
God has enabled me
To walk with you faithfully
And cherish the treasure
The treasure of you

Pastor Jo asked them if they would take each other as husband and wife and they said: "I will, with God's help" and then they exchanged their own personalised vows and gave each other rings as token of these vows and then they were married!
We then moved on to the reception ground which was just next to the church building. Lydia's brother-in-law and Johann's sister were the MCs for the night and they were quite funny! The night was filled with song! Both families are very musical apparently and it was just so great! The first song was sung by two guys from BBC to the newly-weds and then the newly-weds and their respective siblings together sang "Because you loved me" by Celine Dion dedicating it to their parents.
Then there was the toast...

And then, my personal favourite bit of the evening - Lydia, who sings beautifully - sang "You light up my life" to Johann! Can you see the smile on his face? He had no idea she was going to do that and it was just to-die-for-beautiful.
After that, Smriti and I went and met the couple and gave them their gift, ate some delicious food hurriedly and ran out because Smriti had to get back to the hostel by 8:30pm by hook or by crook and I didn't want to delay too much cause I had to head back home in a SAREE and HEELS by the local trains alone...
Of course, I made it and let me blow my trumpet a little and say that I am proud of myself! :P I wore my heels after a whole year and while women travel by local train in sarees everyday like its second nature to them, I can count the number of times I have worn a saree on my fingers, so this was quite an accomplishment!

Vote of Thanks:
Sonu: For lending me her gorgeous saree!
Jo's Mommy: For draping the saree for me!
My Granny: For finding me a kind old tailor who stitched my blouse in a day for 40 bucks!
Jo: For doing my make-up and setting my hair - I'm hopelessly inexperienced at such things!
Lydia: For inviting me to the wedding and allowing me to join in their joy and seeing how God works things out so marvelously in His perfect time! Check out their website.

I am so grateful for the people in my life and that includes you, dear reader!

P.s. Learn how to drape a saree here! (I love the internet!)

4 comments:

Sharanya said...

I just checked out their website. God, is all I can say. They're so beautiful, Tina.

Ryan said...

I love authentic christian weddings. :) Was she walked down the aisle and all?

You look pretty. :) Indian women look good in sarees. Usually this statement is greeted with a "But is is damn uncomfortable". sadly.

Tina Nandi said...

Lol. Actually they're not that uncomfortable. it's just a matter of getting used to it!

Sonal said...

You look gorgeous Piu!
It was a beautiful wedding!
Sarees are uncomfortable!