Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Friday, November 28, 2008

One World, Many Lives.

This is a very strange and difficult situation to be in. Life is far from normal right now. I haven't been to college for two days not because I am ill, or its raining too or simply because I couldn't wake up on time but because my city is almost in a state of war. War is a more appropriate term because when you say terrorist attack, you think bomb blasts or planes crashing into buildings. It happens for a few unbelievable minutes and then you have to move on to recovery. But this is different, its been more than 36 hours of shooting, grenade bombs and holding hostages. They have enough ammunition to last them for days.

Since the first time I blogged about this, the death toll has almost tripled and the injured have doubled. I didn't even mention anything about hostages -most of home were unsuspecting tourists- or how the chief of the Anti-Terrorist Squad is dead. How the General Manager of the Taj Hotel's entire family died in the mayhem.

And yet. And yet, life is going on as normal for most of the world. What's going on in Bombay might only be tucked in to some corner of the global news page of your daily newspaper along with all the other atrocities that are happening in the world today. People are just hearing about what is happening in my city. People are celebrating Thanksgiving. People are partying. People are working. People are going on with the mundane chores and duties of life.

There is no reason that you should not go on with your normal lives because it is possible. But its hard to have to accept and understand this skewed world sometimes. It happens all the time - people die when others are celebrating new life. People win, while there is a loser. Countries live in peace and security while others are ravaged by war and famine and illness...

I don't know how God does it. To be with you in your joy while He is also with us in our sorrow. I don't know how He does it, but I know He does and I am glad that He does.

And this may be a very long and dark night for Bombay, but joy will come in the morning. That is the essence of hope. And I refuse not to have hope.

2 comments:

anne said...

I love you; we're here; we're praying. Have hope in India yet.

bhavini said...

We can't call it a war, Piu. A war is a battle against something which can be seen, is understood, is recognised. One side attacks, the other side defends. Here, we have no bloody idea what we're up against. Destroying life and property continuously on the strength of almonds, for 59 hours? Killing and plundering and burning remorselessly, with the intention of never coming back? This isn't war. This cannot be defined anymore.