Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

World Non-Violence Day

What does that mean anyway?? Does it really serve any purpose?? We have soooo many days - St. Valentines' Day, World Peace Day, World Elder's Day, World Ice-cream Day (seriously now WHAT does that mean??) Mother's Day, Father's Day, Brother's Day, Granduncle's Day, Neighbours Day, My Fish Day... Okay so I made up the last few (and I love the fact that today being Gandhi Day or World Non-Violence Day means I don't have to go to college!!) but I mean, it's really bordering on ridiculous and why should there be a DAY to remind us of the things that we should be thankful for or be aware of EVERYDAY?? And how does non-violence day really initiate or encourage people of the concept anyway?? So we remember Mahatma Gandhi and his non-violent ways for today and the front page of the newspaper tells us to remember the importance of it but excuse me for being a cynic, I don't see what that DOES! We can talk and talk and talk about these things, where is the action? After a while these days just become tradition, aimless, fruitless, just another holiday.
Feel free to disagree :D
In other news, a couple of the girls in the hostel and I went to watch a movie called 'The Loins of Punjab' (I haven't mispelled it). It was one of those Indo-American movies with some swearing and sexual innuendos, but besides that, it was quite hilarious and quite sweet and quite cliche(or maybe prejudice is a better word here)-breaking which is the part that I liked the best, no, actually what I liked the best was the part where... wait, this might be a spoiler so I won't say it! ;)
Also, we got slaughtered by the aussies in Kochi today which is sad and I don't know what exactly happened cause I didn't watch the entire match but I was listening to the last part up until we hit a six and then we got caught out. Meh. Oh well, it's all in the game, I guess. ;) Yes, okay, well done Aussies!
More later,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! Well...It is a holiday!! I cant think of anything else now..


c ya tomorrow..


Sharan

anne said...

I wouldn't say you're a cynic. And is the holiday just meant to remind people of things, or is it also a remembrance day of something that was awesome and non-violent also? Because I think it's okay to honour the memory of that kind of thing.

Anyway, Happy Non Violence Day I guess :)

Tribal Kid said...

hahhah i din't even know it was non-violence day,.... i didn't even know such a thing existed.. here there r just the Queens bithday, melbourne cupday, anzac day, easter, christmas, boxing day, newyears, mother and fathers days, and a couple more.. i think each state gets like 8 or so public holidays and they cam make it when ever what ever... like the norhern teritory being a desert and not knowing what 2 celebrate have things like " picnic day" where u have a long wknd so as 2 go on a picnic..lol. loosers i tell u.