Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Hindustani Hawa ka Jhokha!

(A draft of Indian Air!)

Hello India! Got off the plane last… well actually this morning (28th Oct) at three am! And am now in Mumbai at my grandma’s place and there’s not much to do. I slept like a log all morning cause I didn’t sleep a wink on the plane (I watched three movies! One from Lusaka to Nairobi and two on the long haul to Mumbai)
Ate lunch, picked up some courage to go to the post office alone and drop off some letters (Meg, there’s one long one for you!!) Spend some time trying to cross the road, I have no guts!

“Okay, now Tina. Ah, dammit, that guy was coming too fast. Okay, next time, you’re just gonna have to run, nobody’s gonna stop for you. Just do it. Okay NOW. Ahhhh, why won’t my legs move?!!”

He he he. Seriously I stood there for a couple of minutes trying to cross the road. It takes some getting used to but hey, I’m not dead and I even managed to post those letters and when I got home my mum said, “Wow that was quick!” J Mission accomplished!

This morning the first thing I did when I got off the plane was to take a deep breath and then I looked at my mum and said, “Ahhh Desher Gondo” which is “Ahhh the smell of India.” Sounds odd I know, but India really has this strong, distinct smell (perhaps to some a bad smell) and I remember how much I used to hate it when I “lived” in Lusaka and used to come to India for holidays but now I love it. In fact I wouldn’t mind leaving the country again and again just so I can come back and get that first strong drafty smell of India when you get off the plane. Its good to be here. This is where my roots lie, this is where they will always lie. As much as I hate the bureaucracy, the passport office (!!!), the pollution, the staring men, the traffic, the auto-wallahs’ attitude, it still pulls me right back.

Anyway, flying to Bangalore tomorrow morning, I think I will cut my hair today. I don’t know, but I might just, on a whim… Oh, and I’m craving a dosa, will do that this evening too. Cheese Dosa.

More later,
Swagatam! (Welcome)

No comments: