Hey all,
If you read my last post or my emails or chatted with me this evening or emailed me, this is for you. I just wanted to thank you all for caring. I believe myself to be truly blessed for having people like you in my life who have always been there to catch me when I fall, pat me on the back and get me to keep walking, keep trusting and move on. Even though not a single one of you are physically here with me, your prayers and your concern has not given me the chance to think for a second that I am alone. You are testimony to the fact that God never puts you through anything, that you will not be able to cope with.
I am fine. Don't worry. Even if I feel sometimes that I can't walk, God is carrying me and I thank Him, for giving me the opportunity to let Him do that for me. Its a great feeling!
Matthew 11:28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
On a lighter note, what the heck is a No.2 pencil??? I woke up at 5:30 this morning (don't ask, it was to do with the wind blowing fiercely outside my window and a stupid sparrow monotonously and sonourously making a very annoying sound outside the other window; it wasn't even a tune it was like pressing a single note again and again on a piano that is out of tune) and was thinking about that. I think most of you are aware that I am doing my SAT 1 test this Saturday and ETS (which is the examining board) requires you to shade your answers with a "No.2" pencil. Now, there's is no such pencil that actually says "No.2" on it. At least not here. There may be in the West or other parts of the world. Has anybody seen a pencil that says "No.2" on it?? I went to a stationery shop and asked them and they had just as baffled an expression, as I was feeling. They even suggested that I must be wrong, there's no such thing as a "No.2" pencil. So I asked them if they had SAT books and showed them that it said right there under the requirements,"Bring No.2 pencils," but obviously they just shrugged cause they don't know what they are either. I've only ever seen HB, 4H, 6H, 2H etc etc. Any way, fortunately my tutor informed me that apparentely "No.2" pencils are also known as 2B. Okay, easy enough, find 2B pencils... Well not THAT easy. In the whole of Lusaka there is only one stationery shop apparentely that stocks 2B pencils and so we had to find that, cause neither my parents not I have ever been there. Anyway, I finally bought them pencils y'day. And then I came home and at the lunch table this verbatim the conversation (well translated to English from Bengali!!):
Papa: Did you buy the pencils?
Me: Yeah
Papa: How many?
Me: four
Papa: Why? They asked you to buy twelve. Why didn't you buy twelve?
Me (shrugs): whatever.
Once you've read the Princeton Book you'll see that they like to exaggerate. College board advices you to bring two. And plus 12 pencils would cost 12000 Kwacha which is approx. 120 Rupees. That's ridiculous! That's would be like one week's pocket money for me at school, which could comfortably feed me a cheese dosa at Nahars, a plate of chilli chicken from Abads and a fresh fruit juice and still save me money for a couple of jolly ranchers or an auto back to Selborne!!!!
People don't know the value of money! You gotta live in Ooty to know!! And at Hebron at that. Sheesh...
;)
No comments:
Post a Comment