Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Friday, October 13, 2006

The Power of Music

If there are things that can lift my mood, they’re music and dance. I am far from the most musical person I know, and although I like to imagine I can sing, I’m not too sure about that. BUT I can appreciate music, not every kind of them though. E.g. I’m not exactly a fan of techno, rap, alt rock and some others.

In the dorm we listened to different music according to our moods. These are some of the moods I can remember:


1) Feel good music. If you’re sad, and it has anything to do with a guy then its feel-good music you need!
Favourites: Any angry female singer like Michelle Branch or Kelly Clarkson.

2) Awwww music. The urge for romantic music was quite common. (We’re girls, we’re emotional creatures!!) Either after a good day at school (also to do with a guy!), or after watching a chick flick or just simply after a good night’s sleep.
Favourites: For a while our # 1 was “That’s when I love you,” by a certain female called Aslyn. Gah. What a soppy song, and we listened to it wayyyy to many times! Otherwise it was one of AJ’s “Emo” CDs, Sushi’s Eagles, The Matt and Angie wedding album, or “A walk to remember” was an all time favourite.

3) Peter Pan. This gets its own slot cause it was precious to all of us cause that was our Yr 13 drama and always brought about a reminiscing mood. Although it was probably most precious to the CO-director, Meg-ass!!! ;)
Included: Finding Neverland and the sound track for the Peter Pan movie.

4) After Holiday Music. This of course varied. During the breaks was the only time we could catch up with what was new on the music scene. So it could be hindi like Salaam Namaste or Rang De Basanti, or Meg’s piano guy (I’ve forgotten his name), or even rediscovered tapes left at home like Grace’s Shakira.

5) Fun/Crazy/Hyper. Usually this meant putting in one of my random MP3s which I spent my entire holiday compiling on Limewire. It would include all the ‘cool’ songs from movies we’d watched in the dorm and other random shtuff!
Favourites: Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy by Big and Rich!!! (One of my personal favourites! Come on Meg, admit you LURVE that song!!!) Ain’t no mountain High Enough, Dus Bahane (!!!), Do you love me and other Dirty Dancing songs, or one of those hairbrush/deo-microphone songs that we could sing at the top of our lungs like Jojo’s “Baby it’s You” or “Leave” or Liz Phair’s “Why Can’t I” Oh yeah, we also had a short Elvis Presley phase near the end of term to which I also have an embarrassing and hilarious video but I won’t publish that!!!

6) Christian Music. Anytime! What better way to humble yourself than to sing of God’s love?
Favourites: Well, varied. We had lots of different phases. Hillsong after the Youth Fellowship Camp. Wow 2006 after we watched the video. Third Day – what a voice!!! And also one of Gail’s faves. Meg had a Relient K phase and still loves them.

So you can imagine that the upstairs corridor of our dorm was never quiet!! You’re right!! If it wasn’t blaring music, it was us!!!

No comments: