Tina doesn't blog here anymore! Feel free to read the archives and read on at Free To Be Me!

Monday, October 23, 2006

Old love, renewed passion...

I’ve been thinking back a lot over the last week, trying to find some of my old dreams and things that I liked to do before I lost them or simply forgot their status somewhere along the way and I remembered this.

While most of my friends used to collect stickers, I used to collect stamps. It was a much cheaper hobby and for me also much more intriguing than stickers of many cartoon characters that I had never even seen on tv as for the longest time, my parents avoided putting cable tv at home (and I am grateful to them for that!!) However the fact that I had never heard of many of the countries from which I had stamps bothered me much less, in fact I enjoyed that. It meant that I could look it up in an atlas and find out about another country and dream of one day perhaps, visiting there.

I also remember being completely fascinated with taking photos. Most kids are fascinated by cameras, especially the flashes so I guess I wasn’t much different. I remember being very excited and feeling privileged when my parents would let me take a photo. My first ever guideline was to centre the photo. “Make sure the object is in the middle of the frame, okay?” That’s what I was told and I did that with much concentration, I wanted to get it right, I wanted to take a good photo.
Those were the days of manual cameras. Those were the days of looking through a little hole at the top of the camera and not a screen.
Now, I have my own digital camera but I still take photos with that passion, with that zest to get it right, although I have realized that in a field of art, “right” is VERY relative!

My stamp collection has become a redundant passion and my little album sits in a trunk somewhere and perhaps someday I will take it out and have a look at it. However I still have a crazy passion for photography. A kind of passion that will keep me awake at one in the morning taking absolutely random shots. A kind of passion that will make me turn on my laptop at half past one to write about it!! In fact there was even a time when I was seriously considering a career in photography but then I figured that if you take photography away from that part of my life that it holds now, then I would miss it. Something that walks beside me and keeps me company, not something that walks ahead of me nor behind me but with me.



No comments: